Sunday, February 05, 2006

crash (2004)

I think that Crash is a breathtaking movie from all points of view. I couldn't actually find any flaws able to shadow the experience of watching it, despite several comments and reviews i've read. The directing is great, the acting just the same, while the soundtrack helps building a threatening atmosphere. It's that kind of thriller which actually makes you shiver, not necessarilly because it frightens you, but because it makes you realize your helplessness in such a painful manner. It gives you chills just because it makes you realize you are part of a world and of a society which allows such things to happen. Which doesn't give much on humanity or dignity. The movie goes up and down, and somehow forces you to place yourself in the shoes of the characters. Or at least it should appeal to you that way. It makes you think twice about yourself, your morality, your friends, your neighbourhood, your social whereabouts. It makes you wanna change things, but it also induces a question like: "can things actually be changed?".
Graham says:"It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something." Officer Ryan expands: "You think you know who you are? You have no idea."
Crash initially reminded me of "Requiem for a dream", with the observation that the experience of Crash is far more complex, covering so many both social and psychological aspects. One can visit the official site and "explore the film", and will be granted some design sketches derived from the personal interpretations of several scenes. The movie has 6 Oscar nominations this year, for Best Achievement in Directing; Best Achievement in Editing; Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song; Best Motion Picture of the Year; Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role; Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it, then. I just saw Requiem for a Dream and that is one movie that has given me the chills. My first reaction was to worry for my younger friends that aren't yet strong enough to deal with their issues [but then I remembered I'll always be there for them :P]. But about halfway through the movie, I extend my perspective on the movie to the whole society, I focused a little bit more on the mom, and was shocked to understand that her only fault was taking television and advertising and the society too seriously. The doctor who called the police instead of treating Harry's arm utterly revolted me, and reminded me a bit of our "Moatea Domnului Lazarescu" flick. Requiem for a Dream also made me think of addictivenes, both of drugs but also emotional, and how one can lead to another, and how it all turns into weakness. It's just that.. there are some moments when I accept my waknesses.

I'll comment more after I watch Crash also.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Dan Anghel said...

Crash reminded me more of "Traffic" and "Syriana" than of "Requiem for a Dream", in the way that there are no main characters in the movie only secondary, there are more storylines which tend to converge towards the end but are equally developed throughout the movie.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home